The Top 5 Public Storage Facilities in the US
At some point, just about everyone finds themselves in need of self-storage. Whether it’s because of moving, downsizing or for any other imaginable reason, having easy access to safe, secure storage facilities is incredibly convenient. Because of this, self-storage is widely available across the country. In the U.S. alone, more than 2.63 billion square feet of rentable space is available across more than 54,000 public storage facilities.
As ubiquitous as they are, chances are that you can take your pick from several self-storage facilities in your area. The question, of course, is how to determine which one suits your needs the best. Because they typically have the best facilities, prices and features, the country’s top public storage facility companies are a great place to start your search. Even if none of the following facilities is available in your area, use the information below to gain a clear understanding of what constitutes high-quality public storage.
Without further ado, here are the top five public self-storage facilities in the country:
1. Public Storage
Headquartered in Glendale, California, Public Storage is the largest public storage company in the United States. With more than 142 million square feet of rentable space across the country, it’s also one of the largest landlords in the world.
Since its founding in 1972, Public Storage has secured its place at the top of the list of the top public storage facilities in the country. Some of the top advantages of renting storage space from Public Storage include:
- Free reservations with no credit card required
- Flexible lease terms with no long-term commitments
- Offers convenient access hours to tenants
- Provides personalized access codes for enhanced security
- Climate-controlled units available
- Sizes ranging from compact to 10′ x 30′ available
In 2016, Public Storage reported more than $2.56 billion in revenue.
2. Extra Space Storage
Since opening for business in 1977, Extra Space Storage has risen to become one of the most well-known public storage facility companies in the country. With nearly 400 facilities across 38 states and more than 103 million square feet of rentable space across more than 9 million units, Extra Space Storage also happens to be the second largest public storage facility in the U.S.
Some of the top benefits of renting self-storage space from Extra Space Storage include:
- Offers sizes ranging from 5′ x 5′ to 10′ x 30′
- Convenient locations in nearly 40 states across the country
- Secure electronic gate systems at most facilities
- Moving and packing supplies available on-site
- Units with individual alarms available
- Company’s “Clean and Green” standard ensures clean, safe facilities
In 2016, Extra Space Storage reported $991.87 million in revenue.
3. U-Haul Moving and Storage
A subsidiary of U-Haul International, a company that is better known for moving truck rentals, U-Haul Moving and Storage has nearly 1,500 locations across the United States. Its parent company was founded in 1945, so U-Haul has a solid reputation in general as well as a long track record. Currently, the company has more than 261,000 public storage units offering more than 49 million square feet of rentable space.
Some of the top advantages of renting a self-storage unit from U-Haul Moving and Storage include:
- Often offers deals, including first month free
- Backed up by a reputable company with a long track record
- Convenient U-Box service lets you pack, move and store your belongings using one set of boxes
- All locations are open seven days per week
- Most locations offer 24/7 access
- No deposits required
- Online payments available
In 2016, U-Haul Moving and Storage reported more than $247 million in revenue.
From its headquarters in Malvern, Pennsylvania, CubeSmart operates a chain of public storage facilities across the country. Self-administered and self-managed, the more than 800 facilities that the company operates offer a combined total of more than 49 million square feet of rentable storage space. Founded in 2004, CubeSmart also offers SuperStores that include a wide array of business, moving and storage services.
A few of the top advantages of renting self-storage space from CubeSmart include:
- Flexible, month-to-month lease terms available
- Storage customization to suit all storage needs
- Premium services include shelving options, remote control access, automatic door openers, individual lighting and electricity and more
- Sizes ranging from lockers to 10′ x 30′
- People’s Choice Stevie Awards recipient in 2016 for Sales and Customer Service
- Offers first month free
In 2016, CubeSmart reported more than $510 million in revenue.
5. Life Storage
Rounding out our list is Life Storage. Founded in 1982 and based in Buffalo, New York, the company currently operates more than 650 public self-storage facilities across 29 states. All told, Life Storage offers more than 45.5 million square feet of rentable space across nearly 60,000 self-storage units.
Some of the top reasons to rent self-storage space from Life Storage include:
- Password-protected access control systems
- Drive-up units available at many locations
- Supplies and moving containers available on-site
- Close-circuit security cameras for enhanced security
- Climate-controlled storage available
- Available sizes range from 5′ x 5′ to 20′ x 20′
- RV, boat and car storage available
In 2016, Life Storage, Inc., reported more than $462 million in revenue.
As you can see, the country’s top public storage facilities are fairly evenly matched in terms of offerings. The best part of all is that no matter where you are or where you’re going, it’s sure to be easy to find safe, clean, secure public self-storage in the area.